Monday, July 6, 2009

following your leads.

(sorry about the trees... they're kind of unavoidable in my neck of the woods.)


Seems that everyone is doing a post for Independence Day: well wishes toward fellow bloggers, and rehashed fun plans, etc. While my weekend was exceptionally wonderful, I'll leave my description at:

A 3 day weekend full of food, fun, friends, family, swimming, sun, fireworks, and partying. Needless to say, I am exhausted!

The pinnacle of this weekend for me was standing in my backyard around 9-10pm listening/seeing all the fireworks going off in the sky around us. This was my first Independence Day in many years that I have lived in the suburbs. It's a totally different experience from living in the city... Much of what we could see and hear was being set off by neighbors, and other people in and around our subdivision. For the first time on the 4th of July, I felt a sense of camaraderie. It was nice to look up in the sky and actually see the celebrations going on simultaneously all around us.

All of these people were celebrating our country, celebrating our freedom, and celebrating the brave people who serve in our country's armed forces so that we may maintain this freedom. That night was truly the physical manifestation of the people rising up to honor this tradition, and commemorate our fellow Americans. It was extremely moving.

As I stood there enjoying the ever-changing colors and shapes streaming across the sky, and waiting on my hubby to come out and start our own backyard show, I had a moment of clarity. I was overcome by feelings of reverence, and wondered if the Americans of decades past would be touched by our extravagant displays of commemorative pyrotechnics.

I think they would. Can you imagine what Independence Day looks like from above??

6 comments:

  1. Well written , moving post. America is the greatest of nations and deserves to be celabrated.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks DUTA... I agree! I think sometimes we all get wrapped up in things that don't matter and forget to pay respects where they're due. I am proud to be an American citizen and be afforded all the wonderful things that being an American brings! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. From above? that's a cool idea. I wonder if any satellites took pictures Saturday.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is the first year in the U.S. we didn't see fireworks (we lived in Istanbul a while, but even there we saw them at the army base). I missed it.

    I am grateful to live in a country where I can complain as well as praise.

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh WOW!! It MUST look so beautiful for above!!

    <3,
    Iva

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am definitely going to look into that satellite video... surely google earth has something? I can only image how cool it must look-the night sky lighting up all over the country!

    ReplyDelete