Monday, April 20, 2009

reflection.

I subscribe to a blog by a woman I do not know. I read everything she posts, because it is always thought provoking, insightful, and true to life. I don't even know her name, nor have we ever spoken or met, but here's her blog: Life in the Second Half. I would like to share that with you, because I enjoy it so much.

In her blog this morning, she raised a very interesting point of view in regards to our lives in the current state of the country. While so many of us are preoccupied with our financial burdens, possible job losses, and various other unfortunate situations, should we perhaps redirect that energy towards something more positive?

Take this opportunity to start that business you've been wanting to launch. Cut back on expenses and enjoy the time you have at home with your kids now. Don't worry about going out to fancy dinners and expensive golf trips - pick up that hobby you've let go by the wayside, or start a new home project you've been putting off for a rainy day. No matter what it is, what I'm trying to say is:

It's raining, baby! Now is the time!

My husband, the go-getter he is these days, is at the tax office as we speak registering his new business. I am so happy and proud of him, he's really been working hard on it, and it is turning out to be an excellent decision!

I've been pondering some of these same scenarios myself recently. Mostly because of the recent misfortune that my car has bestowed upon me. While I am very aware of how lucky I am to have a good job in this economic climate, it's difficult to be as appreciative as I should be when I am terrified on a daily basis of getting stranded on the side of the highway during my hour commute. Sure, I could buy a new car... if my credit score was better. Or if the banks were lending. Or if we had ANY savings leftover after last year's job losses/wedding/hurricane/move. Overall, it kind of puts me in a tight spot.

Maybe this is all a blessing in disguise. Maybe all the car troubles are a gentle way of pushing me into resignation. After all, Jerry's got some really great things happening for him right now, and it just might be the opportunity I was looking for to devote myself full-time to my web business. I need a push, but I don't know if I'm ready to make that leap. I also don't want to put Jerry under any unnecessary financial stress just because of some hair-brained idea of mine. I am secretly hoping that if I did feel the need to step out, that my company would want me to work free-lance from home. After all, I was the one who started this division of the company, and I'm the one who has everything laced up here. If that WERE the case, I would do it today. Unfortunately, it's the not knowing that always kills me.

I am however finding much easier these days to be happy with where I am, who I am, and what I have. I attribute most of that to my wonderful husband, wonderful marriage, and wonderful new house. It seems to be so much easier to be content with life when everything around you is so effortless. So I guess for now, we'll just have to see where things go, and seize the opportunities when they come my way!

No comments:

Post a Comment